Convert handwriting into text and search in Notability.
- Handwriting Search
- Handwriting-to-Text Conversion
- What language does Notability look for?
- Changing the Recognition Language for All Notes
- Changing the Recognition Language for a Single Note
- Math Conversion
- Supported Languages
Notability's search tool now finds handwriting. You can search for handwriting across all of your notes or within a specific note.
Notability can only process the handwriting in your existing notes while the app is open.
- Open a note.
- Tap/click the tool.
- Circle the handwriting you want to convert and tap/click in the box.
- Tap/click "Convert".
- Tap/click "Text" and your handwriting will instantly be converted into text.
What language does Notability look for?
Notability uses your device's language. If your iPad is set to English, for example, Notability will use English in your notes.
Changing the Recognition Language for All Notes
- Open Notability's Library.
- Tap/click the icon on the bottom left-hand side of the app.
- Tap/click "Handwriting".
- Tap/click "Language".
- Tap/click your preferred language.
This changes the recognition language for new notes. It does not affect existing notes.
Changing the Recognition Language for a Single Note
- Open a note.
- Tap/click the icon located on the top right-hand side of the app.
- Tap/click icon.
- Tap/click the language next to "Handwriting Language".
Transform handwritten equations into hi-res scalable images. Color-coded equations will retain their original colors.
Math Conversion supports common mathematical expressions, elements, and rules including:
- Latin alphabet
- Mathematical symbols and operations
- Greek symbols
- Mathematical terms: sin, cos, tan, mean, median, mod, norm, ceil, cons, sort, sad, var, etc.
- Chemical elements
- International convention units (weight, length, frequency, luminosity, dosage, pressure, etc.)
- Rules: horizontal pair, fence, square root, fraction, subscript, vertical pair, matrix, partial fractions, and more.
We support LaTeX! After converting handwriting to text, you can edit the Math Equations by modifying the underlying LaTeX.
- Right-click or tap anywhere on your converted equations to access LaTeX editor options.
- When editing an equation, you are free to add in any LaTeX you'd like!
Handwriting Recognition and Search is available in English, Danish, Dutch, Filipino (Tagalog), French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese