Buying and Using Notability
- I bought Notability on my iPad/iPhone. Can I use it on my Mac?
- In Apple's Files.app, there's data called NBOrganizers and notes in .nbn format. What does that mean?
- My subjects and dividers are missing. How can I restore them?
- Can I password protect my notes?
- I signed out of my Apple ID and now my notes are missing from the library. What happened?
- Why isn't Auto-Backup working?
- In Notability Settings > Manage Accounts, I see an option for creating a Notability account. What is that? Is it related to note storage?
Working in a Note
- How can I move, edit, and delete images, text boxes, and sticky notes?
- How can I write with my fingers or another stylus after using an Apple Pencil?
- Why are there random lines when I write?
- Why are images blurry in a note?
- Where did the scissors tool go?
- Can I view my notes in Landscape Mode?
Importing, Exporting, and General PDF Behavior
- An imported PDF disappeared from my note. How do I restore it?
- How do I troubleshoot errors when importing files?
- How do I troubleshoot email issues?
- Why is a scanned document blurry?
- Why is Notability crashing?
Error Messages and Misc
- What does this error message mean?
- Recently Reported Issues
- I'm a designer and/or content creator. How can I collaborate with Notability?
Why isn't audio recording when my iPad cover/folio is closed?
I signed out of my Apple ID and now my notes are missing from the library. What happened?
When signing out of your Apple ID, if Notability data has not finished syncing to iCloud, the data will be evicted. This could be due to insufficient storage or not allowing your data to finish uploading.
We're currently working on a solution for this issue but in the meantime, you'll only be able to recover this data through a backup. A backup is always recommended and the easiest way is through Auto-Backup. You can manually export your notes as well.
If you also have a Mac connected to iCloud and a Time Machine backup of that Mac, you may be able to find notes in that backup. They might be in this folder, which is where Notability keeps files that are synced to iCloud: ~/Library/Mobile Documents/ZP9ZJ4EF3S~com~gingerlabs~Notability
How do I troubleshoot Metadata errors?
"Unable to load metadata" errors usually mean that iCloud is misbehaving, but we're working to prevent such errors. If restarting your device doesn't fix the error, iCloud's version history should let you download slightly older versions of your notes, and those versions should behave correctly.
I bought Notability on my iPad/iPhone. Can I use it on my Mac?
In Notability Settings > Manage Accounts, I see an option for creating a Notability account. What is that? Is it related to note storage?
This is not related to note storage. If you'd like to back up your notes, please try Auto-Backup.
When you create a Notability account, it'll allow you to share note links with others via the Link Sharing feature. It is not used for anything else.
How can I move, edit, and delete images, text boxes, and sticky notes?
- While using the text tool, tap an item with one finger to select it.
- Alternatively, tap an image with two fingers while using another tool. This keeps you from selecting the item while you write on it.
- To move the item, tap and drag it.
- To resize the item, tap and drag one of its corners.
- To delete the item, tap "Delete" from the menu above it.
How can I write with my fingers or another stylus after using an Apple Pencil?
- Open a note.
- Tap the Options (3 dots) menu and navigate to Info.
- Tap "Disconnect" next to Apple Pencil.
Where did the scissors tool go?
We updated the icon! It is a lasso tool now but it works exactly the same as it did before.
Can I view my notes in Landscape Mode?
Landscape mode is currently on our list of potential ideas for the future.
If you would like to use something akin to a landscape mode now, you can:
- Lock your iPad's orientation and turn the device sideways.
- Or if you prefer, you could import a PDF and use it as a landscape template. You can learn more about that approach here.
In Apple's Files.app, there's data called NBOrganizers and notes in .nbn format. What does that mean?
This is an issue stemming from Apple that we are currently looking into. For now, please do not delete or edit those files in your Files.app.
I'm a designer and/or content creator. How can I collaborate with Notability?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any business inquiries. Thanks!