If we hear about an issue from multiple users, we will post here along with any workarounds to get you up and running again as soon as possible while we work on a fix.
Don't see your issue on here? Check out our FAQ. For further assistance, please reach out to us!
- App is unable to recognize the correct subscription type that I purchased (Plus, Classic, etc) OR I'm not able to use in-app purchases that I bought in the past
Go to your Notability Settings > Subscription tab > Restore Plan. If you don't see this option, please update to the newest version of Notability. If those steps do not help, try the steps here and contact us here. We're actively looking into this issue and your ticket/bug report will greatly help us in our investigation.
- Lagging after updating to 12.0+
Currently investigating a fix. We appreciate your patience!
- Pencil content sometimes missing on export
Currently investigating a fix.
- Copy/pasting pages fails after updating to 12.0
Currently investigating a fix. As a workaround for now, please switch back to Seamless view from Single Page and you won't encounter this bug.
- Undo gesture (2 finger tap) not working on handwriting zoom view
- Freezing and/or crashing occurs while typing with macOS Ventura
This issue only occurs with macOS Ventura, it does not happen with any older versions of macOS. We are continuing to investigate. As a workaround for now, disable Spell Check and this issue will not persist.
- Apple Pencil's double tap no longer reverts to previous color
- Writing with the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil on an M2 iPad seems to have a choppy-like writing experience
This is an Apple issue that is impacting many third-party apps in Apple's ecosystem.
- Note content is shifting
If you have iCloud enabled, you may be able to restore a previous version of the note. Navigating to "Templates > Size" within your note's Options and selecting an optimized size can also help. If those steps don't nudge things into order, please submit a ticket and let us know the following:
1. If you're able to use iCloud version history to access an earlier version of the note, could you please send us a copy of that earlier version in Note format?
2. Does this issue only occur in notes with an imported PDF?
3. Has any content other than ink shifted?
Some Mac users have reported being unable to enable iCloud Syncing within Notability and receiving an error message "iCloud isn't Responding. Notability couldn't turn on iCloud because iCloud is taking too long to reply. Please restart your Mac." We are actively monitoring this issue and have an open case with Apple to investigate the root cause further.
- Opening some notes may result in a "Missing Font" error message
This is a known issue related to the device not having access to a system font. Users who create notes with fonts supported on Mac but not on iPad will see this Apple OS error message. Most commonly affects Kaiti-SC and other similar fonts.
- Subjects and Dividers Disappeared After Syncing / Updating
Our team is currently investigating this problem.
For the time being, try closing and opening Notability. If that doesn’t work, completely close out Notability from the App Switcher and launch Notability again. This step may require a few repeated attempts before the Subjects and Dividers rebuild.
- Black screen when entering Presentation Mode
As a temporary workaround, tap the Presentation Mode icon on the left side of your toolbar and switch between Screen and Presentation to get going again. Force closing Notability and re-opening the app while screen mirroring also works.
- PDF has disappeared, but annotations remain on the note
Troubleshooting steps here.
- Random Lines when writing with Apple Pencil
Troubleshooting steps here.
- Notes are stuck downloading
Most commonly due to insufficient storage on the device or in iCloud. If that's not the case, reach out to us!
- Rendering issues after updating to 12.0+
Fixed in 12.0.5. If you continue to run into issues with this, please let us know!
- Handwriting performance issues
Fixed in 12.0.3.
- Copy/Paste not working in notes for some users
As a workaround, ensure you have the "T" text tool enabled in order to paste within a note.
- I can no longer write with Scribble, it draws text boxes instead
Select “Scribble” mode (underneath the "Draw" option in the "T" tool). You should be able to write with Scribble once that is enabled.
- Grid template (spacing and border) behavior has changed after updating to 11.8.4
This is related to an update we made for custom templates. For more information, check out this article here. We are continuing to monitor your feedback, thank you.
- My text is double-spaced and I don't want it to be
This is the expected behavior as the text now aligns with the lines. Even if single-spacing is selected, the text will be double-spaced if the font size is too large for the line height selected. To help everything fit better, you can use a larger line height or a smaller font size.
- When in Split View or Multi-Note, one of my notes appears black and empty
If you pinch-to-zoom in or out on the note, the note should appear again.