Notability can back up your notes to one of several cloud storage services. This is a one-way backup, so deleting a note in Notability does not delete the backup copy. Similarly, deleting a backup does not delete the original note in Notability.
For a two-way sync across devices: iCloud Syncing. If multiple devices are synced through iCloud, you can only use Auto-Backup on one of them.
- Turning on Auto-Backup
- Changing Auto-Backup's Destination Folder
- Changing Auto-Backup's File Format
- Changing which Notes Back Up
- Restoring Backup
- In Notability's Library, tap .
- Tap "Auto-Backup".
- Tap a cloud service.
Backups go to a folder named "Notability" by default, but you can choose a different folder.
- In Auto-Backup's settings, tap "Destination".
- Navigate to the desired destination folder.
- Tap "Back Up To [folder's name]".
You can back up your notes in one of several file formats.
- In Auto-Backup's settings, tap "File Format".
- Tap a format:
To include background lines and colors, enable the "Paper" toggle after you select PDF as your file format. Bookmarks and audio recordings will not be included.
This is a good way to export typed text that you want to edit in another app.
This is Notability's custom file format. It includes audio recordings and keeps everything in a note editable if you import the file back into the app. This is a good way to share notes with others who use Notability.
- PDF + Recording
This makes .zip files that contain a PDF and a folder of .m4a audio files. This is a good way to share recordings with people who don't use Notability. Notability can't open .zip files, so you'll have to unzip them to import their contents back into Notability.
- RTF + Recording
This makes files that contain an RTF and a folder of .m4a audio files. Notability can't open .rtfd files, so you'll have to unzip them to import their contents back into Notability.
By default, Auto-Backup does not back up password-protected notes. You can enable backups for password-protected notes and disable backups for other notes.
- In Auto-Backup's settings, tap "Subjects to Back Up".
- Tap a subject to check or uncheck it.
- If a subject is locked, type in its password and tap “OK”.
Notability can't restore subjects and dividers from a backup automatically, so they must be remade manually. You can import an entire subject of backup files into Notability at once by following this guide.
If I delete a note in Notability, is the backup copy deleted?
No. The backup copy stays in your backup service.
When are notes backed up?
- When you enable Auto-Backup or change its settings, all of your notes are backed up.
- When you edit a note and return to the Library, that note is backed up.