Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Get started with Notability here! This guide will walk you through navigating the app, using the tools, and our core features.
- The Library
- Create a New Note
- The Toolbox
- Inside a Note: Undo/Redo, Options Menu, and Content Manager
The Library houses your notes, subjects, and dividers. It’s where you access and organize your notes.
Create a New Note
Tap to create a new note.
Select Rule, Grid, or Dot at the bottom of a new note to change the background.
Select Scan to scan a document, which will be saved as a PDF background in the note.
Select Templates to set a custom template.
Our Moveable Toolbox is fully customizable to suit your specific needs. The style tray gives you one tap access to your favorite tools and every tool has its own customizable presets.
All tools including Zoom, Tape, Ruler and Laser Pointer, are grouped in the Toolbox. Don't see a tool? Swipe left to reveal more.
- Tap Pen and start writing with your finger or stylus. Tap Pen again to adjust color, line weight, and style.
- Pencil has pressure sensitivity and texture for sketching and shading.
- Highlighter is a translucent ink that can emphasize the most important parts of a note.
- Eraser to remove anything you write or draw. Partial Eraser allows you to remove precise details and Whole Eraser erases the entire item.
- Select Text and tap anywhere in the note to start typing. Create text boxes, which can be moved anywhere on the page.
- Draw selections around ink/sketches to edit; convert handwriting to text.
- Tap to take photos, scan documents, and add images to your note. Include GIFs and stickers. Insert sticky notes for quick reminders.
- Use to scroll through your note and access hyperlinks outside of Notability. If another tool is selected, use two fingers to scroll up or down.
- Record lectures and meetings with Audio Recording; Note Replay syncs recordings with ink automatically.
- Use Zoom View for detailed work.
- Use Tape to cover up key information in your note and quiz yourself.
- Use Ruler to create straight edges or measure precise angles.
- Use Laser Pointer to direct your audience’s attention to specific parts of the page during presentations.
Inside a Note: Undo/Redo, Options Menu, and Content Manager
Tap Undo/Redo to undo or redo your last action. Enable Undo/Redo gestures in your app’s settings. Tapto export notes, modify your template settings, and select how you view your note.Use Content Manager to manage note pages and audio transcripts.
Multi-Note and Note Switcher: Multi-Note lets you open and work on two notes at the same time in either horizontal or vertical view. Note Switcher allows you to quickly switch between notes.